Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Persistent Questions

One of the frequent questions that Katie and I (John writing here!) get regarding this summer is, "Why?"  Why leave careers, home, pet, family, friends, to do an internship alongside college students?  It's a very good question really!  Why are we here?  There's a variety of good answers to the question.

First, Katie and I have been married a year and a half and rarely have much opportunity to do ministry together.  She tagged along with me in Kenya right before we got married, but we always felt like it would be best to find a mission field that would be equally new for each of us.  We both have an interest in international mission work, but haven't necessarily felt God pulling us to live overseas long-term.  This is a great chance to learn more and discover it together.

Second, I have some questions I'm looking for answers to, and I hope to be exploring some of them through blog posts this summer.  One is regarding the role of short-term missions in the world today, particularly those coming from the West.  I've been involved in STM for many years (this is my 13th short-term international mission trip!), and I credit them for a lot of my spiritual development.  But I also see the criticisms from sources like When Helping Hurts and others.  I'm particularly wondering right now if the supposed link from STM to long-term missions is a bit of a bait-and-switch, where career missionaries do work entirely unlike short-term missionaries.

Another of my questions has to do with models for church planting and community development overseas.  This is the one that plugs into my own career, right now with LINC NT, where we are seeking both simultaneously.  I'm interested in the interplay between the two and how they can be practiced together.  I'm looking forward to learning from the national leadership in these countries and incorporating their wisdom and experience into my own, wherever God uses me.

Third, Katie and I are blessed with both the opportunities and the resources to serve, and we feel the burden to put these to use beyond our individual local contexts.  We feel the burden of the world outside our Dallas bubble and feel called by God to serve humbly overseas, using our skills and training.  That includes worship leadership, camp leadership, and discipleship for Katie, and business, missional leadership, and team leadership for me.  And more, as God reveals them.

That's just a few of our thoughts...stay tuned for more throughout the summer!

1 comment: