Monday, September 14, 2009

Uncertainty

I feel like another period of transition is starting in my life. Not that I've ever really not been in transition, but it seems like new things are starting to happen and different questions are opening up that I haven't felt in a while. Some are simple - moving in just a couple of weeks and not knowing where I'm moving to. Others are slightly bigger - whether or not to apply to Dallas Theological Seminary in the spring. Others are essentially impossible - what direction to take my career. And there are more.

The Lord gave me an illustration some years ago that I've always chosen to apply to my life. I imagine that my life will forever be on this track, but I'm okay with that. My life is like a road up the side of a mountain. If you've driven up a mountain road before, you know the tedious switchbacks that you must take to slowly go higher and higher. You also know that you can never see around the turn of the mountain, but that never stops you from moving forward, because you know that you can already see the point from which you will be able to see around it. And if you want to know the final destination, you need only look upward.

Perhaps one of the most comforting things possible in life is the knowledge that God is in control. And I am continually reminded of this, despite the absurd level of uncertainty that I've grown somewhat used to. Even when I've gone dangerously close to the points beyond which I have no plans (and sometimes even beyond the point), the right path has always opened up, and in hindsight each situation has been the right one. Even though I've never yet balanced a budget in over a year and a half since graduation and have lost thousands of dollars in 2009, I still have money to pay the rent and incredibly fortunate investments have kept me alive.

I can say one thing with absolute certainty: God is in control, and my life is still on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment