Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Will Support the Winner of a Democratic Election

Enough is enough.  The political fighting has gone too far already.  I'm all for a two-party system, or maybe even a three-party system, and political campaigns make sense to me - they seem too long and way too expensive (thanks Dickie-V), but the general concept is important.  I don't mind things getting a little personal....you are running for public office, and who you are determines how you lead.  But ceaseless arguing that begins to border on hatred is not only painful to watch and listen to, it is absolutely destructive for our country.

Abraham Lincoln was wise to quote the Bible when he said that a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand.  Commonly, we just say "United we stand, divided we fall."  It appears that we have reached the point  where our nation is paralyzed by political division.  I know each side doesn't agree with each other...nothing new there.  I don't make a secret of my political views.  But it looks like we are on track to have the least productive Congress in history, and that's sad.  When good decisions and ideas are opposed simply because  the source is someone from the other side, it's over.  When dialogue doesn't even happen on important issues, it's over.  Our country cannot stand.

Therefore, I'm pledging from this point forward that I will support the winner of a democratic election.  Of course I will still vote for the candidate whose views I agree with the most, and I will really be disappointed if that candidate loses, but at the end of the day I will support our elected leaders.  Not only does the Bible command it - it just makes sense.  They are our leaders, and they represent us, no matter how miserable or ignorant they seem sometimes.  Without constructive dialogue, we're sunk.  It's time to learn how to support someone with whom we disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment