Friday, August 6, 2010

Kenya Reflection 1

The enormity of the task which we are attempting to accomplish is staggering to the point of being overwhelming. The base of the issue is my conviction that all things are interrelated. The root of the problem, however, is my unshakable dream: to see an entire country transformed by the Kingdom of God. How can this be done? Only by the power of the Holy Spirit, clearly, because the task is immeasurably complex. There is so much in my mind that I am trying to balance. The interconnectedness of ministering to the whole person as I understand it (intellectual, emotional, physical, spiritual, and social) is a concept that is beyond me. Then I am convinced that the most sustainable work occurs at all levels simultaneously: individual, communal, governmental, and international. Each of these four levels would require a lifetime just to read the published material on their intricacies. Finally, all the different philosophies that I have incorporated into my being must find their place. I believe in the process of disciple-making, particularly life-on-life. I shudder at the thought of bad development practices that do more harm than good, and I have to focus on human dignity. I am also aware of the challenges inherent in any cross-cultural engagement. All of this seems to appear insurmountable.

Our dreams for Ndoto are huge. Our passions are intense and we want to see so much happen. Some of what we are attempting to do is an unpaved road, if even anyone has travelled it before. I don’t know of anybody who is trying to do nonprofit development work side-by-side with for-profit entrepreneurship. Often, it just seems like we are making it all up as we go.

Our generation is bold. We have a global perspective and live in unprecedented times. We have overcome much of the modernist separations so that we can even attempt this type of work, and we are beginning to recover the charismatic gifts of the Spirit that grant us extra power in our work. We will change the world, with God’s help. We must, for the world needs restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment