Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Phrases We Should Stop Using, Pt. III: Dying?

Part III of Phrases We Should Stop Using.....

There's a mildly-sappy and moderately-depressing country song by country star Tim McGraw called "Live Like You Were Dying."  It is about how if you knew you were dying, you'd do all sorts of crazy things you wouldn't do normally (and that it's a good thing).  A movie called The Bucket List tackled a similar subject, although the themes were much deeper and more complex.  People of all faiths have discussed how you would live if you knew that the world were ending in a very short time.  Surely you'd live your life differently, grasping onto each day and living with remarkable purpose.  Why can't we live this way all the time, these people ask?  Why do we waste so much time?

It's a valid question.  Why do we waste so much time?  I don't want to demean the question, because it's a great one that should be asked.  However, the phrase to "live like you were dying" or like the world were ending is a bit ridiculous, and the answer isn't likely what we intend.  Would we really like people to live like the characters in The Bucket List all the time?  For that's surely how people would live.  You would have no cares about the future, or about saving money, or preparing for things.  You wouldn't spend time resting or investing in long-term things.  This isn't the way we should live!  If I knew I were dying in the next six months, I'd probably drop out of school and burn my savings.  But I don't live like I'm dying - I know that school is worth it for my future.

Living like you were dying is not the right perspective.  The right perspective is to balance the interest of intentionally seizing every day with the interest of long-term planning.  We should certainly have an eye toward today and recognize the reality that any day could be our last on earth.  We should be ready to die any day, but plan as if we'll live to be 100.  Every day can have purpose in this sense, even if the entire day is spent resting and relaxing.  Rest is a God-given gift that is valuable for the future.  Let's live intentionally, but with a long-range vision!

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts...I prefer the idea of living without regrets because it incorporates a little better the idea of keeping in mind that you might keep living another 50 years. Sure, if I knew I was dying I wouldn't have invested in my masters degree. But I don't regret it looking back because it has helped prepare me for where I am. I prefer to think is this something I will regret doing or not doing? Will I look back and be glad I did it or not? I think that leads towards more intentional living.

    ReplyDelete